I don't "tweet" much and had never heard of Tweeter plays until this class. I can see where it can be entertaining to "watch" or read these plays. Sometimes it makes me feel that it is close to "gossip." Now is gossip considered theatre of not? I don't know. I guess it could be. I can understand that writing a complete play (Twitter Play) in 140 words of less could be challenging and would require some careful thought. It would be interesting to see some of these 140 word Tweeter plays performed on a conventional stage. In this sense, it could reinforce the "reality effect" in a way that most "theatre" goers could understand. At the same time, you could very well take the long running "Tweet Plays" and read them on a stage in front of the audience and it would become a "Duration" play. That would be interesting to witness.
I've never seen a duration play before and I find that it would be very interesting to witness. I would prefer to see one such as the Quizoola rather than Speak Bitterness because I think that the answers to the questions in "real time" would be more entertaining that just listening to someones confessions.
As far as the second question goes, it would be difficult for me to think of what would come next in the evolution of "reality" theatre. I did find a web site about a company called "Reality Theatre Productions." It seems to me that they could come up with different approaches to "Reality Theatre." The executive producer, Dr Mark Lerner says that his company is, "An Innovative Theatrical Genre" and " The most authentic and challenging role one can play in the theatre, on screen, and in life is oneself." To me, this means that no matter who you are or where you are, if you are "playing" yourself, you are participating in theatre. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be on the stage. I hope that answers the second question.
http://www.realitytheatreproductions.com/IN_SESSION/REALITY_THEATRE_PRODUCTIONS.html
No comments:
Post a Comment